Takes - 30 mins
Makes - 4 portions
Calories per portion - 479 kcal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion you can use a white one, but I prefer red in this recipe
- 1 medium aubergine chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 clove of garlic crushed or finely diced
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 300 g penne pasta you could make this with any shape, but I like it best with penne
- A small handful of basil leaves roughly torn
- 150 g ball mozzarella chopped roughly
Put a the olive oil in the base of a wide, deep pan. Add the chopped red onion and put the lid on. Sweat the onion on a low heat until it is translucent, but not brown - about 5 minutes. Meanwhile you can chop the other veggies.
Turn the heat up high and add the aubergine. Stir-fry until the aubergine is nicely browned, (you may need to add a splash more oil), then turn down the heat and add the crushed garlic and fry for 1 more minute.
Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper, then bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally.
While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions / your own preferences.
Drain the pasta and tip it into the sauce, stirring thoroughly to coat the pasta in the sauce. You may want to add a drop or two of the pasta cooking water to make the sauce looser.
Finally, add the basil leaves and mozzarella and stir again. There should be just enough heat in the pan to warm and slightly soften the mozzarella. Yum!